About Vela Luka
The largest and newest town on Korcula, Vela Luka provides an all-round holiday destination on Korcula Island, where you can fill your time chilling on pretty beaches, exploring caves or enjoying the sounds of local folk music. There are a number of restaurants and cafes as well as shops and supermarkets, providing you with plenty of opportunities to sample local delicacies. Vela Luka is located on the far west of Korcula and the two attractive small islets of Proizd and Osjak lie just off the town’s shoreline.
Why Stay in Vela Luka?
- Easy transfer from Vela Luka to mainland Croatia by boat and the nearby island Lastovo.
- Plenty of accommodation options.
- Lots of local amenities such as restaurants, cafes and supermarkets.
Top 5 Things To Do in Vela Luka
- Explore the homes of your prehistoric ancestors and visit Vela Spila. It is believed these caves were inhabited more than 20,000 years ago and archaeologists have made hoards of discoveries in recent years.
- Visit the town’s Cultural Centre, which is housed in a beautifully renovated Baroque building in the centre of the town. Along with excavated finds from the caves, there are ethnographic collections and galleries displayed here.
- Take a ferry boat across to the nearby islets of Proizd or Osjak. Everything you can imagine about a paradise island can be found here, from the tiny white pebbles to the crystal blue sea.
- A trip to the stunning island of Lastovo will live in your memory forever. Its unspoilt beauty was declared a Nature Park by the Croatian government several years ago. Take your pick from a number of bays and let yourself drift away into pure joy.
- Several decades ago scientists discovered that the mud and water pools in Vela Luka were enriched with nutrients. Kalos Health resort was built, which uses the mud and water for numerous health treatments and medical rehabilitation. You can find more about the special programmes they offer such as Anti-Stress or Diet on their website.