Cara and the neighbouring bay of Zavalatica are like two sides of a coin. One side being the old farming village with its church and extremely old cypress tree in the courtyard, the other side being the developing seaside village which looks to tourism for its income. The less than 600 inhabitants tend to their olives and Posip grapes or offer warm hospitality in traditional restaurants and cafes and in the rental of holiday accommodation.
Why Stay in Cara?
- Impressive views from your bedroom window; Cara over the vineyards and Zavalatica, over the expansive Adriatic.
- Central positioning on the island, so no town or attraction is too far away.
Top 5 Things To Do in Cara
- Whilst in Cara you must sample a glass or two of the very popular Croatian wine Posip, which is grown and produced in the village. The grapes produce a golden coloured wine with a very pleasant fruity aroma. Look for signs advertising vino for sale, or stop at the large wine cellar on the road to Zavalatica.
- Marvel at the huge cypress tree that has been growing for some 500 years in front of Cara’s Parish Church of St Peter. The church itself was built in the sixteenth-century and inside hangs a painting by the Venetian painter Leandro Bassano.
- Just a few steps from the main road is the old graveyard and pretty church of Our Lady in Cara Field. Many pilgrims flock to this small church each year, drawn by the legend that in 1686 a young shepherd girl saw a vision of Our Lady. The processions celebrating St James’ day on July 25 are also centred around this site.
- Catch a performance of the Kumpanija on one one of the village’s saint days. The Kumpanija is a gallant sword dance representing the people’s defence of their village, centuries past. A set of complicated dance steps paced by the drums and bagpipes, reach a pinnacle with the waving of a large flag. At the end, girls join the dancing celebration.
- A short stroll from Zavalatica and 3km from Cara is another unpopulated hidden paradise bay called Zitna. The crystal clear waters provide perfect swimming and snorkelling opportunities; a perfect finale after the walk from Cara.